Thursday, April 23, 2015

Having Fun with Mean, Median, and Mode

Today's topic in class was Mean, Median, and Mode. This had to be my favorite lesson so far in the unit. This is because we did a really fun activity that of course involved the whole class which is always the best. The activity we did was called Grab a Handful which is exactly what we did. My professor had a bucket filled with cubes and she went around the room and told everyone of us to grab a hand full of cubes and then write the number of cubes that we grabbed on a small sticky note. After we wrote down our number we then got up and went to the front of the room to organized ourselves from least to greatest. If someone had the same number as you then you would have to they would have to stand in front of you. After all of us were organized we then realized that we made a human dot plot (which was pretty cool!) After that we used our human dot plot to find the Mean, Median, and Mode.

Whats really great about this activity is that it gets the whole class was engaged and when you get the class engaged then it helps them understand the concept better. After we did everything as a class then we went back to our worksheet to answer the questions which gave me a better understanding since we did that activity. This is one of the activities that I would loved to use in my classroom for the future. It's really easy to make Mean, Median and Mode fun. You can use fun scenarios or fun games. I found a website that has a great game that involves Mean, Median, and Mode click here to play it.

Hope you enjoyed this post!
  


2 comments:

  1. Great layout and presentation of your blog. I like how you thoroughly explained what you and the whole class did that day and how much fun you had. The only thing that I had a problem with was that you didn't explain the terms. Other than that great job anf good luck on finals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great layout on your blog. I love the books in the back! I think you did a great explanation of what we did in class. I think that all you needed to add was the to explain what exactly mean, median, mode, range and all that fun stuff. Other than that I think you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete