Monday, April 13, 2015

May the Odds Be Ever In Your Favor

Finding the odds of something would have to be my favorite section of probability. It was simple to understand and was fun to figure out also I couldn't help but think of The Hunger Games every time I did a problem in this section. Every time someone talks about something being in favor or the odds being against I would always wonder how they knew that and what kind of math was behind it. When first learning how to find the odds in favor or against I was introduce to a formula but to me that was confusing and I couldn't really understand how to use it. Then in class I was taught just to think of it like this. If the problem has something in favor then I would just think Successes  over Failures and if the problem is odds against then it was Failures over Successes. Now looking back at the formula it make sense.

I found this website that shows the steps of finding the odds and I really liked it because it explained it well. The only thing I didn't like about it was the video's title said Finding the Odds but in the video they are really finding the probability. Theres a difference with finding the Odds of something and finding the probability. With finding the odds against something you're finding the failures over the successes and finding the odds in favor you're finding the successes over the failures. With probability you're finding the the success over total. Still this section is my favorite because its fun to figure out the problems you get.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you related this blog on odds to the Hunger Games. I think would really help young students get interested in odds and understand it better. Also, I thought it was good that you explain the difference between odds and probability, because I know our MAT 157 class struggled to find the difference. I think your blog would be perfect for your future students.

    ReplyDelete